Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014

The Prisoner - Maybe not Tokyo’s finest but also pretty damn good…




Unbelievable – two uploads within one week! As you can see, my new job is not too busy at the moment…
All the better, since this gives me time to write. 

Still in London – nothing has changed there. Still getting adjusted to the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between England and Germany/Japan. 

Before coming to London, I had heard a lot about how things work over here and had been working for an English company for quite a while but there are still lots of surprises. 

Worst example is definitely the real estate market. Real estate agents and people working for property companies tend to be assholes in Germany and Japan too but what I experienced here is on a whole new level.
First of all, London is expensive. No news there, but even compared to Tokyo, London is expensive!
Of course we could have moved to the countryside, since my company is on the outskirts of London but I had German countryside for a year now and needed some big city again.
Therefore I am willing to pay a bit more but the problem is that you don’t get shit in return:
 First of all houses here are generally very old and run down but still cost a fortune. On top of that you have to pay for all services (water, gas, electricity) and the Council Tax.
The Council Tax bill was already in our post box when we moved in. Considering you have to wait forever if you want anything from an office, things seem pretty efficient when they want something from you.
What I am getting at is that even if you are willing to pay lots of money every month for a dump and crappy service, estate agents and landlords still manage to fuck you over.
I didn’t really have the time to look for accommodation thoroughly, so I had to choose from five places I was shown by different real estate agents. Since the places they show you first are usually the ones they cannot get rid of easily, all of them were shit.
I took the least shitty one on the condition that they changed the carpet (which I have in written confirmation) but later they simply decided that it didn’t need changing. “We had it cleaned real thoroughly”, I was assured. Right.
I could have taken legal steps but since I was still in Germany at the time and hadn’t even received the countersigned lease agreement from the landlord, I was afraid they’d just put me on the street again, so I decided to swallow my pride and take the place as it is.
It didn’t stop there though: despite the fact that I paid everything in time (deposit, rent…), I received demands for all rents I had already paid.
Naturally I didn’t get an answer when enquiring.
Instead I was offered the very house I am renting by an automated mail from one of the big real estate websites.
Available from February 2.
So I still have 10 days left before the new tenants might move in. Hope it doesn’t get too crammed.

I’d never thought I would say this but I have come to value German thoroughness…
Next time I will complain about London’s parking situation… but now back to the music!

Today’s band is Tokyo’s “The Prisoner”. 

At my age it is quite hard to find new bands that make it onto my “drunk playlist”. This is the list of bands/songs I eventually come back to after a few beers, no matter what I was listening to before. Somehow most of the songs on that list are the bands I grew up with and I do not get tired listening to even after decades. “Going underground” by the Jam is on there, as well as about 20 Pogues songs, The Churches “Unguarded Moment”, Ramones’ “Poison Heart, Chasing the Night, Real Cool Time”, Eddie and the Hot Rods’ “Do Anything You Wanna Do”. “Younger” bands on the list would probably the Caesars with their “Paper Tigers” album and The Sounds with “Something to Die for” and “Crossing the Rubicon”.
As you can see, I lean a little towards melancholy when drunk…
However, The Prisoner is one of the bands who made the list and not only with one song but with most of their last two records “Rats and Crows” and “Believe”.
They have some really well made videos on YouTube of three of those songs:

Stay Free
Rock and Roll People
Letter

But getting the albums is obviously the better option! 

The Prisoner’s singer Junichiro comes from an Oi background with his former band the Avoided but the Prisoner take in much more influences, such as Mod, Soul and Beat. I’ll call it Punkrock based Rude Boy sound with a melancholy edge…
For me the Punkrock song work best, so I eventually skipped the others… but to those songs I have been listening to on heavy rotation. My wife’s comment would simply be “again!?”
The Prisoner are playing quite frequently in Tokyo and are liked by people of all backgrounds. They fit into a pure Punk show as well as opening for a Soul all-nighter. 

There is a downside however: avoid the English songs! I don’t want to come across arrogant but Junichiro sounds like a frog when singing in English.
I don’t know why the Japanese insist on putting English into their lyrics / sing in English, when most of them really struggle with the language.
In many cases it sounds quite funny and the grammar looks like copy and pasted from Google Translate.
There’s two bands that really start to suck when they start singing in English but are brilliant otherwise and that are The Prisoner and Last Target. I guess the reason for that is their fake American accent.
I am not a native speaker so it might seem nit-picky to go on about it but I would not want to sing in English if I weren’t a hundred percent sure it sounds at least decent and is grammatically ok. 

Nevertheless, the Prisoner’s albums are well worth buying. I have to admit that I started with “Rats and Crows” and do not own any of their older stuff but considering how great their latest two albums are, those can’t be too bad either.
Here’s their homepage: 


By the way, if you are wondering why you can’t find much about Japanese bands when googling, try google.co.jp. On European Google versions you might have to look on page five or six before being referred to “The Prisoner”.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen